Monday, October 15, 2007

Knitting, crochet, and sewing

1. Knitting


My hot water bottle is now cozy. I finished the BAWK (with whoreshoe cable) yesterday, but our landlord turned on the furnace in the afternoon, so I didn't actually need this in bed last night. It's adorable, though, isn't it? Maybe I'll use it tonight even if I'm not cold.

2. Crochet



I found (via Ravelry, of course) this great free pattern: Bark Sedge Stitch Washcloth on the Lion Brand site. (Confession: I just realized that "Bark" is the colour of Lion Brand cotton used in the pattern, and this is just a "sedge stitch" cloth. For the last couple of weeks, I've thought I was making a green Bark Sedge Stitch dishcloth, and a blue Bark Sedge Stitch dishcloth, and ... duh.) I sent two of these to my mom, and she reports that she loves them. So I will make more. I don't enjoy knitting with cotton, but crocheting with it is fun.

3. Sewing



Remember the wonderful Scrap X Quilt at happythings? (She's even made another one since then!) I've been working on one of my own for the last week or so -- arranging strips of scraps and sewing them into blocks. It's so fun. Lots of this fabric came from the lilybug scrap pack I bought last weekend; some is stuff I had in my closet, including leftover bits from my first quilt; and I admit that I bought some brand-new stuff for my "scrap" quilt. (How else was I going to incorporate leopard print? It simply had to be done.) So even though I really should be knitting my Woodland Shawl so I can have it finished and blocked in time for Rhinebeck, I'm obsessed with assembling these quilt blocks. Obsessed!

Thank you for your birthday wishes yesterday. I had a nice day -- largely because it involved going out for eggs benedict. And because the furnace came on.

26 comments:

Elise said...

Ok, I'll be the first to say it, that quilt is gorgeous. Not that the washcloths and hot-water bottle cozy aren't. But that quilt is going to be fab.

Anonymous said...

Love the whoreshoe cable! and happy belated birthday, too! (I'm under an avalanche of work and just saw your post...hope your eggs benedict was delicious!)

Thinks too much said...

I LOVE the hot water bottle turtleneck. I use a HWB (well, two actually) almost every winter night. Since I don't knit, I'll just have to sew a T for mine.

And I am clearly a bad, bad friend for missing your birthday. Which also means I missed my brother's birthday. Bad sister, too. Sad.

Happy day, chica.

Stacey said...

those are super cute washcloths - a great way to use up some cotton!

cute quilt - love all the different patterns!

Anonymous said...

and all the white space in the alternate blocks will give you room to practice some free motion quilting instead of lines this time. :) looks great so far. it's a very fun scrap pattern.

Chris said...

Ah, the furnace coming on for your birthday - divine! Hee hee - I hope ours is on before mine in mid-November! :D

regina said...

Aw, happy belated birthday! I love all the crafty endeavors going on at your house. Great stuff indeed.

i really REALLY hope to run into you this coming weekend!

Stella said...

Ooh, I've been thinking I need to make a hot water bottle cozy. Yours looks lovely. And that quilt! Beautiful.

Elizabeth said...

Oh man, I love that quilt. It's so gorgeous. I may need to make one now. And happy belated birthday!

beth666ann said...

Thanks for the info on the washcloths; I just started one, and it's a fun pattern.

Carrie said...

Your quilt is looking fabulous, all the blocks are so perfectly square.

And the water bottle cozy is great! I'm glad your furnace came on.

Rae said...

You are one crazy busy brainy lady!

Anonymous said...

The quilt is gorgeous!

La Cabeza Grande said...

Chin? Meet desk! Your talent and keen eye become apparent with each things you touch.

Forget being Lucy or Caitlyn. I want to be Brainy when I grow up!

spajonas said...

i LOVE the quilt. great choices for the placement of fabrics :)

Lindy said...

That quilt looks fantastic! I wish I could sew, :(

Anonymous said...

the quilt is just so very fabulous but you're killing me here! i'm not allowed to break out my own quilting again until i make it through some of the unfinished knitting piles ... seriously though, you should be really proud of the quilt. it's lovely.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving your quilt! It looks so retro and 70's. Are you using all cotton fabrics?

Anonymous said...

Love the hot water bottle cover! I wish I had one now!

Mari said...

I love everything I'm seeing! The quilt is going to be fabulous!

Adrienne said...

WOW! You have been busy! Love your projects!

claudia said...

Happy Birthday (plus one day). I think the scrap quilt is particularly adorable.

Danae Prado C. said...

wow...you has have a lot of work...lovely the sueter for your water botlle or guatero, how we said in spanish.

Kiss

Danae Prado C. said...

wow...you has have a lot of work...lovely the sueter for your water botlle or guatero, how we said in spanish.

Kiss

Maggie said...

How do you have time for all this and study, too? Beautiful stuff. And thanks for that crochet washcloth pattern link! I really love those. :)

Anonymous said...

Great washcloths! Thanks for posting the link to this pattern, I'm off to buy myself a skein of Lion's Brand Organic Cotton :)