80-ish THINGS ABOUT ME
1. I have always gone by my middle name.
2. I started knitting in November 2002. Now I'm obsessed.
3. I'd rather be too cold than too hot.
4. I'm always five minutes late.
6. I've been living in sin with my sweetheart since 1994.
7. I stopped eating meat in 1991. I do eat fish, though.
8. I love a bargain.
9. I love the True Crime genre.
10. I'm a feminist.
11. I have five tattoos; I got the first when I was sixteen.
12. I have a ring in my nose.
13. I lived in Taipei from February 2002 until August 2004.
14. I grew up in a small town in British Columbia, Canada.
15. I used to be a newspaper reporter.
16. I'm shy with new people.
17. My only family member within fifteen years of my age is my brother.
18. I lived in Vancouver for five years and hated the rain.
19. I lived in Montreal for two years and didn't learn French. Now I live there again. Still no French...
20. My best friend and I call each other by the same nickname.
21. I often say "I could do that!" ... but then I don't.
22. I had a paper about Riot Grrrl published in an academic journal.
23. I'd rather take a photograph than be in one.
24. I hope to be a homeowner within
25. I have a master's degree in media studies.
26. I've never bought a lottery ticket.
27. I'd rather eat than cook.
28. I hate going to bed, so I always stay up too late.
29. I think design was at its best in the 1950s.
30. I don't feel like a grown-up.
31. I have a beauty mark on my face.
32. I love dance movies.
33. I don't have an athletic bone in my body.
34. I prefer to live in the country than in the city. I think.
35. I've been a bridesmaid once, and my mom made the dress.
36. I was a flower girl in my cousin's wedding when I was seven.
37. I went to hairdressing school, but I've never worked as a hairdresser.
38. I didn't have hair until I was two, I'm told.
39. I tend not to have favourites (e.g., colour, band, movie, food).
40. I spell words like "favourite" and "colour" with a U.
41. In Grade 4, I lost a spelling bee when I spelled "prairie" as "prarie". Still bitter.
42. I'm fascinated by popular culture.
43. I'm terrible with plants, but I like them.
44. I can type 75 words per minute.
45. I look younger than I really am.
46. I have very long toes.
47. I have a brand-new sewing machine that I have never used. No time! No space!
48. I wish I needed to wear glasses, but I don't.
49. I hate throwing things away, because I might need them later!
50. I'm really, really good at Tetris.
51. I wear sensible shoes.
52. I wore braces in high school, but my bottom teeth are crooked again.
53. I have a big hole in each earlobe (0 gauge, for those in the know). And no, it was not done with a hole punch.
54. I have one set of days-of-the-week underwear, and I never wear a pair on the wrong day.
55. I think the cardigan sweater is the best piece of clothing ever.
57. Before I moved to Taiwan, I made handbags and sold some of them.
58. I love egg salad sandwiches.
59. I don't eat enough fruit and vegetables.
60. My hands are often cold, and my fingernails often turn blue.
61. I broke my two front teeth when I was sixteen, during lifeguard training.
62. I've never broken a bone.
63. I like camping, but I don't do it nearly enough.
64. I once took a bus alone from Vancouver to Mexicali, Mexico. I got sick.
65. I've been to the Parthenon and the Greek islands of Crete, Santorini, and Mykonos.
66. I love sushi. I'd happily eat it every day, especially tuna and salmon.
67. I don't really have a sweet tooth, but I can't resist chocolate, red licorice, and sour cherry pie.
68. I'm still grieving for Sassy magazine, R.I.P., but I have a pretty good collection of issues.
69. I've kept a journal since I was ten years old. There are more than forty volumes.
70. When I was twelve, I took a picture of Corey Hart to the hairdresser and said, "Like this!" (Hey, it was 1984.)
71. I loved Archie comics when I was a kid, especially a good Betty & Veronica Digest. (I rooted for Betty.)
72. I collect 1950s dinerware and hotelware and various retro kitschy things.
73. I took piano lessons for several years as a kid, and I will take it up again someday.
74. The first band I saw live was U2 (the Joshua Tree tour).
75. There was a time when I really, really, really loved Duran Duran. (Roger was my favourite.)
76. I love real, physical mail, both sending and receiving.
77. I like doing the laundry. I don't like doing the dishes.
78. I drink coffee daily, but I don't like tea.
79. I was bitten by a dog once. I was selling Girl Guide cookies at the time.
80. I find it difficult to sneeze quietly and fun to sneeze loudly.
81. I own a set of golf clubs.
82. I like living with my books around me.
83. I'm a slow reader, and I don't read as much as I would like to.
84. I mail out a form letter with my Christmas cards each year.
85. I'm a PADI-certified scuba diver, but I actually prefer to snorkel.
86. I plan to take up needlepoint at some, well, point.
87. I want to make quilts too. (But see #47.) I think I love fabric more than I love sewing.88. I am currently working toward a Ph.D. in communication studies.
Last updated: September 2006