Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sundays are for socks

Well, actually, today is for working on a short paper that's due Wednesday, and then for celebrating Bill's birthday. It's true -- we like to do everything together! Today is Bill's birthday. I did finish his birthday socks, and he was surprised. (I'd been knitting them on the sly.) He's wearing them, and he just went out for a bit, so I don't have a finished photo for you. But he reports that they are "super-comfortable."

I did have a nice birthday yesterday, thank you. I spent most of the day reading, and starting to work on this paper, but then we went out for dinner to a nice restaurant in Little Italy. We stuffed ourselves; Billy went to bed early, and I watched three episodes of Freaks and Geeks and started a new sock.

Which brings me to a sock progress report! First, the Embossed Leaves Socks, in not-so-soft prune Koigu. (Yes, I'm counting on these socks softening with wear and in the wash.) The colour is waaaay off, but here's where I'm at:



Lying flat, they just look kind of crinkly, but the leaves are very nice when stretched out. And second, the latest socks, just cast on last night. I decided to do the top edge with a hem, as you would for a sweater or hat or whatever -- I cast on loosely, knit 8 rows, purled 1 row, knit 8 rows, and knit each stitch in the next row together with its corresponding cast-on stitch. And I am loving the retro-kitchen colours in this Regia yarn (Crazy Colors #5437):



OK, I have to get back to work. Thanks again for the birthday wishes! I'm happy to be an even number again. I don't know why, but I prefer the evens.

No comments: