Friday, November 25, 2005

Knits well for others: A finishing frenzy

I'm from a small town, so I have friends that I've known since I was three. One of my very best friends from childhood all through school, including years of Girl Guides, was Jennifer. It's been about five years (or more?) since I last saw her; in the meantime, I moved to Asia and then to Ontario, she moved to New Zealand and stayed there, and we're never back in our hometown at the same time. About three years ago she got married, and it still boggles my mind that she -- the friend who was there when I first got my ears pierced; who was with me when I got my first period; who once said, "I would never let a boy put his tongue in my mouth!!" -- is married to someone I've never met. Well, now Jen has had a baby girl. And now that baby girl, whose name is Lexi, has a new pair of socks:



Again with the Better-than-Booties Baby Socks from the summer 2005 Interweave Knits; these are the Hugs & Kisses Socks. I used wool/cotton Regia Surf Color that Carolyn sent me -- because it's the beginning of summer in New Zealand, don't you know -- and a 2mm circular needle. This time I grafted the toes closed with Kitchener stitch, rather than the zig-zag bind-off given in the pattern, to avoid a ridge at the toe. These are called Hugs & Kisses because of the XOXO cable panel down the front:



Aren't they the cutest? Oh, the socks -- right. My new jammies aren't bad, either, though.

Speaking of socks, I am very pleased to report that I finished my dad's Double Diamonds socks! His birthday is tomorrow, but I'll show you a picture today:



These are some rilly big socks. They measure 11 inches from the top of the cuff to the top of the heel flap; the leg is 76 sts. around, and the foot is 78 sts. I used 2.5 balls of Patons Kroy (colour: mercury) and four 2.25mm dpns. I hope they fit! I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I talk to my dad. I'm sad I can't be there for his birthday, because it's one of those milestones. (I'll give you a hint: he's 47 years older than me.) But handknit socks are the next best thing, right?

No comments: