Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Catch up

My goodness, since I was here last I've given a lecture and knit a scarf! Yes, I gave a real lecture -- my first -- on Monday night, in an undergrad class called Popular Music and Gender. It went really well. I talked about riot grrrl and played them some music, and it felt really good to be able to talk about feminist politics and activism to a room full of women who were little kids when that whole scene was happening. (There were only two men in the room -- I think that as soon as the word "gender" appears in the name of a course, guys think it's not going to be about them. Silly boys.) I spent the weekend preparing for the lecture, but I took a two-hour break on Saturday night and watched Shadow of a Doubt on TV (one of my very favourite Hitchcock films), and by the end of the movie, I had a new scarf! No pictures yet, as I haven't blocked it, but I knit Teva Durham's Lace Leaf Scarf from a skein of Manos Del Uruguay. It's purty. It was so quick because the yarn is doubled, and you knit on 9mm needles.

On Friday night we went to see Pride and Prejudice, which we weren't impressed with at all. I thought it was miscast; Mr. Darcy was particularly bad, and there was no chemistry between Lizzie and Darcy. I liked Bride and Prejudice a lot better.

I can't believe it will be December tomorrow. I've booked our Xmas flights to B.C., and I'm just trying not to think how much yarn I could have bought with all that money...

(Lots. Lots and lots of yarn.)

No comments: