Monday, September 19, 2005

Those baby socks, and a great day

The wee socks in my last post were based on the Better-than-Booties Baby Socks patterns in the summer 2005 issue of Interweave Knits. I cast on 44 stitches (on a 2mm circ) and just did *k1, p1* ribbing on the cuff and top of foot. Simple pattern, and it involves a whole new (to me) method for short rows. The patterns as written are even cuter, too, with little cables and things.

Bill and I had a good weekend, especially a very full Saturday that included thrift shopping (in two locations); a couple-hour road trip; pulling over to look at sheep; walking along a river and spotting a ginormous turtle; beers and baked Brie on a riverside patio; and the Western Fair (more sheep, llamas, alpacas, goats, horses, swine, etc., and glorious barn smells -- plus I won a toy fish because I was able to "Fool the Guesser" about my age). And I feel like I'm forgetting stuff. It was like two or three days in one, and we so needed that.

To top it off, I started a new sock for Bill just before bed that night. Then, during the night, I dreamt that I was knitting this lovely blue sock, when suddenly Bill's voice cut in, clearly and slowly saying, "You are really starting to freak me out." I woke up to find Bill looking at me and... well, I was lying on my stomach, propped up on my elbows, knitting air. I shit you not. (Bill said he watched for a while, and I had been intently watching my fingers as they fiddled together, so he knew I was dreaming about knitting.) There's something kind of awesome about becoming the funniest thing you can think of, isn't there?

No comments: