Monday, January 31, 2005

I'm ready for my closeup

I've been putting off answering the questions put to me the other day by Em about movies, because I really want to give the right answers. I love movies. There was a time that I would go to see two or three movies a week at the theatre. Not anymore, though. Like music, I've let things slide in the movie department. Anyhoo, enough suspense; here are my answers as of today, subject to change without notice:

1. The last movie you went to see in a theater: The Aviator

2. The last movie you watched at home: Elephant

3. How many movies do you own?
I own a grand total of five DVDs (but not five movies): Manhattan, When Harry Met Sally, Torso (2001 CTV movie of the week); Duran Duran's Arena (a present from Allison/2L; so scary!); and the Freaks and Geeks box set. We owned about a dozen DVDs in Taiwan (cheap!), but didn't move them back. We have some movies on VHS, but not a VCR.

3a. What was the last movie you bought?
Until about two weeks ago, I owned a grand total of three DVDs -- that's when I bought Manhattan and When Harry Met Sally.

4. Got Netflix (or a similar service)?
Yes, a Canadian equivalent, which I use mostly to get caught up on TV shows I missed over the last few years.

4a. What are the next three movies in your queue?
Metallica: Some Kind of Monster, Jesus' Son, and American Splendor

5. List five movies you adore/mean a lot to you:
This is where I've been stumped. You know I have a list of movies I adore, right? I've come up with five that aren’t on that list:

  • Dangerous Liaisons (John Malkovich, so deviant and sexy)
  • Good Will Hunting ("My boy's wicked smaht!")
  • It's a Wonderful Life (the original Bert and Ernie)
  • The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Les Parapluies de Cherbourg) (every line in the movie is sung, and Catherine Deneuve is just so lovely)
  • River's Edge (genuine old-school teen angst)

    6. Name your guilty pleasure movie (or genre):
    I'll admit it: I get lots of pleasure, and all the wrong kinds, from (many) blockbuster Hollywood action movies. You know the ones: they star Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones, and/or Nicolas Cage; they involve murder, escape, the president's plane, Alcatraz, and/or a one-armed man; they involve explosions and/or a car chase through Chinatown; and the only female characters are dutiful wives, strippers, and/or Margaret Cho*. However, they do not have any computer-generated characters/aliens, or Ben Affleck.

    7. Name 3 people to whom you're going to pass these questions on, and why:
    I’m going to pass this particular spirit stick to Xine/Nettie, because she likes movies and good video stores; to Lala, because heck, I hardly know the lady; and to Iris, because I don't know what she'll say, but it'll be good.

    * Seeing Margaret Cho in Face/Off is always jarring, don't you think?

  • No comments: