Thursday, April 22, 2004

How many sweaters is that?

Twenty-seven kilograms (sixty pounds) of 100 percent merino wool. Sounds good, doesn't it? But it's still attached to the sheep. To one sheep. His name is Shrek, and he's been on the run from the shears in New Zealand for six years.

"Pulling the wool over his eyes"

"Shrek the sheep gets celeb status" (Look at this sheep! It's a bit obscene, really.)

"Concern over sudden shearing of celebrity sheep" (He'll be cold without all that wool!)

"Date set for Shrek's shearing" (Next Wednesday, he'll be in the good hands of a national champion shearer.)

In other news, a bunch of Australian companies have just outed themselves as homophobic, pulling their ads from spots that air during The L Word. I think this is great. By pulling their ads, the companies expose their politics and allow consumers to choose whether to continue to support them. Read these two articles about that: "L's Belles" and "Yikes, they're Dykes!" The headline writers at the Age really enjoy their jobs, I think.

I haven't seen The L Word, but I'm looking at these photos and thinking, how old is Jennifer Beals? Because my friends and I used to rent Flashdance at birthday sleepovers back when you had to rent an enormous VCR along with the video. At least twenty years ago. (OK, I just looked it up, and she's only forty.) Beals knits, by the way.

I'm so glad it's Friday.

No comments: