Monday, August 25, 2008

Two tragedies, no comedy

Scene 1

I was out on the back porch yesterday when I saw it. It was just sitting there, and I thought, "What a pretty leaf." And then it occurred to me that the pretty leaf had fallen from a tree. And I looked closer and saw that the pretty green leaf actually had tiny bits of red in its green. Srsly? The leaves are falling?


* * * * *

Scene 2


I was in my office/blocking room yesterday when I saw it. I'd finished knitting the final piece of Grannie Smith, and I lay the two fronts down on my desk to double check that they were the same length. I noticed that one row of diamonds was smaller than all the others. One time, I had missed two rows of the 12-row repeat. One time, just at the beginning of the armhole shaping, which means I have to rip back eight or nine inches of the front piece. Damn it!


* * * * *

I'm off to Edmonton tomorrow. I have to finish writing my paper. I have to pack. I definitely have to make more coffee...

12 comments:

Steph VW said...

Gah! Autumn!!!

*runs screaming away from the trees*

Anonymous said...

down here in northern virginia, it has been so dry the leaves of the dogwoods are turning red now. Waaayyyy too early. They are turning from the stress of it being too dry. Hmmm.

Stacey said...

on my ride home yesterday from western/central New York, there were trees with patches of orange. Not yet!!!

Anonymous said...

I would just block it a little more aggressively, but I admire your level of commitment.

Anonymous said...

That second one, definitely a tragedy. But the leaf? I could use a little autumn, please send some my way!

Veronique said...

I agree that discovering a knitting mistake is a tragedy, but Fall? How can Fall be a tragedy for a knitter? That's when you'll be able to wear your Granny Smith cardigan!

Jodi said...

It's still a beautiful leaf! Just think of all the good things about autumn... apple cider, hiking amidst the trees bedecked in fall colors, wearing sweaters and other lovely handknits.

Good luck with the paper! Coffee sounds like a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Yes, there are red leaves on the little maple across the street from me (downtown Toronto).

Anonymous said...

Yep, leaf falling time is prime knitting time.

Cassy said...

Ah! That's terrible about the sweater. I feel your pain.

Seanna Lea said...

Coffee can definitely make some things better.

I love autumn. It's getting chilly enough for me to want my gloves at the beginning of my run, but not so chilly that I need them. A great place to be.

Ellen said...

A belated comment, sorry, but I so feel your pain about the lace mistake. I just realized I have to redo an entire left front of a cardigan because "somehow" it turned out bigger than the right! It is a pattern that has shaping on both sides and in the interior simultaneously, and something just got lost. About the leaf, though, the first sign of autumn here in north Florida is sod webworms eating the lawn. I'd love a red-tinged maple leaf.