Thursday, October 04, 2007

A snippet of culture

I've mentioned my friend Allison (a.k.a. 2L) a few times before -- I stayed with her in Vancouver this summer, for example, and I knit her some socks for Christmas in 2003 (!). She recently spent a few weeks in Russia -- the land of her peeps, the Doukhobours -- and she sent me this crocheted cap made of cotton, or perhaps linen. She writes: This quiet old lady sits outside a monastery in Yaroslava, Russia, knitting and crocheting. We had a lovely chat. I wanted to buy all her stuff and pay double for it, but just bought this. Many young people wear hats like this to visit churches, as you're supposed to cover your head if you're Russian Orthodox.

You'll probably be hearing about Allison again this Christmas, as she is feeding my new love of doilies and has drawerfuls of lovely delicate things made by her grandmother -- a few of which, I'm told, have my name on them....

7 comments:

lauren said...

Wow, that's a really nice, thoughtful gift. And beautiful. I love gifts like that when there's a little story with them, too!

Love This Space said...

My Mom was in Russia this summer and came across a lady who was weaving some beautiful shawls. Neither the lady nor my Mom shared a common language but somehow managed to communicate through their enthusiasm and appreciation for fibery stuff.

Veronique said...

What a meaningful gift! (But a part of me hopes that you won't cover up your cute new 'do).

Sarah A. said...

Lovely hat! It reminds me of those seriously old school Disney shorts of the nakid babies frolicking in the garden wearing flower petal hats.

LaurieM said...

That hat will look so cute over your new hair cut!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how beautiful! I trust I will see it in person in a couple weeks? (!!)

Anonymous said...

That is an amazingly beautiful piece of artwork. You are a lucky person.