Saturday, September 08, 2007

Good shopping day

1. Market

Armed with my new crocheted bag, I went shopping this afternoon at the Jean-Talon Market (which is kind of a bad idea on a weekend, because it's so busy, but I still love it there).


I made this great -- and sparkly! -- little bag from this free pattern. Now, my original plan had been to make a good-sized bag that could hold lots of stuff. As I was crocheting this one I thought it looked pretty small, but of course a mesh bag will expand; I added an extra four rounds before working the decreases, but otherwise followed the pattern. When I finished, my first thought was that I'd just made myself an evening bag instead of a grocery bag. It was so small!


However, as shown in the first photo, this sucker does hold plenty. In that picture, there were two large tomatoes, two red peppers, one English cucumber, two small zucchinis, a bunch of green onions, and a bunch of celery in the bag. Just minutes before, I'd had a conversation with one of the produce vendors that went a little something like this (but in French):

Me: I don't need a bag -- I have one.
Her: This? Is it big enough?
Me: Yes! [not really sure this was true]
Her, putting the vegetables in the bag: It grows!
Me, beaming: I made it!

I still have lots of sparkly silver cotton left, so I'm going to make at least one more bag. I'd like to try this MagKnits pattern, which is for a much bigger bag. I don't love knitting on big needles, though, so I may crochet again. Not sure.

2. Thrift

It's been a while since I bought buttons, since I have lots, but I'm in the middle of making a simple, bulky cardigan and planning for it to just have two big buttons. At Value Village earlier today, I just happened to find some of the most incredible buttons I've ever seen:


I'd love to know what the story is with these. I've never seen anything like them. The designs in the middle are 3-D under a clear surface. Have you seen these before?

I also managed to find some back-to-school clothes: a short-sleeved shirt, a blue long-sleeved Western-cut shirt with pearl snaps, and a light-brown wool V-neck vest with a nice lace pattern on the front (which I could easily knit, but not for $3.99). 'Twas a good shop.

(Oh, and the plastinated bodies were fascinating.)

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about those buttons, except that they are a real find! Oh - and you and I are wearing the same shoes today :)

goodkarma said...

Those buttons are beauties!

I'm thinking of knitting market bags for my girlfriends for Christmas...

amanda said...

Love your market bag! If only I could crochet. And those buttons are fab! Never seen anything like them. I know they don't go together but damn, they could totally *go* together!

Robin said...

Beautiful buttons! Wow! Sometimes VV does have a find or two. Love your little bag as well. I just made the neverending bagstopper from knitty.com, which I highly recommend. Easy pattern!

Terhi said...

Pretty bag! And I love your shopping photo.

leigh said...

Those buttons are amazing!

brunhilda said...

you always do the best job thrifting! and i like the bag :)

Anonymous said...

your market bag came out great! i have been wanting to make a knitted version. i don't know if you've seen this pattern, but it looks really cute:
http://www.purlbee.com/elisa-nest-tote/

the buttons are really unusual, i've been collecting old one for years and have never seen any like that!

normanack said...

Wow! Great bag, and buttons to die for! (Sorry, no clue about their provenance or design.)

I recently inherited my mother-in-law's button stash, which is huge but unfortunately almost completely plain white, grey, and black plastic buttons. I did get a few nice ones, which I hope to blog soon.

Steph said...

oh - cool buttons. I don't know anything about their origins but I'll direct my costume designer friend to have a look-see. She might know something about them.

cosymakes said...

tee hee... great coversation and those buttons!!! what a find.

Elizabeth said...

Wow, those buttons are incredible. And every time I read about your thrifting finds, all I can think is - must. go. thrifting.

Barbara-Kay said...

I believe those buttons are lucite, carved from behind so that you see the design on the front. In the 1950's that developed on, and one could have paperweights, gavels, etc. with roses carved inside.

Chris said...

Those buttons are amazing.

Kat said...

Thos buttons are incredible. You MUST make a cardigan to use them up! The market bag is also great. I have a bought one, and it is bigger to begin with, which can be a bother as it expands so much it gets very heavy. Yours seems a better size.

miss ewe said...

Those are beautiful buttons! Way to go with the expanding bling grocery bag, too!

shannon said...

Your bag is leading me down the road of making my own. Although I'll probably knit it since I don't know how to crochet...I have just the yarn in my stash, too!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. Those buttons are the best. I have recently scored in the button department, but your quality competes with my quantity.

Also, your thrift score is enviable!

Anonymous said...

You speak French! I'm impressed. Years in Taipei, and we barely get a "ni hao" out of you, and here you are, barely landed in Montreal, and speaking an old fashioned European language!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic bag! I must make one soon and take it to the farmer's market here.

I love those buttons, too. Amazingly beautiful. I see several single-cutton cardigans in your future--highlight the beauty of each one.

Stacey said...

I so have to make me one of those bags! They look pretty functional!

Veronique said...

Cute bag, and it's functional! A winner :)

Ellen said...

What a great weekend you had! I painted my hallway and cleaned the screened porch, which was productive but not fun. A few years ago I knitted a string bag out of Euroflax, and the big needles were awful. I wish I had crocheted it!

pamela wynne said...

Oh, fabulous buttons! I think they're made of lucite? And such a functional little bag. :)

Octopus Knits said...

Love the out and about bag picture/story! Those buttons are great!

Bean said...

I have a ton of vintage buttons that I have been selling. If you would like some free ones, I'd be willing to send you a care package. email me your color choices and contact info at jillrachel at gmail dot com if you're interested!

I really enjoy reading your blog!

lomester said...

I have been meaning to make a market bag to take with me when we do small grocery shopping trips. I love yours, and I can almost see you proudly beaming when you told her that you made it.

Anonymous said...

bonjour
dimanche, j'ai trié des boutons pour la mercerie emmaüs ... j'en raffole ... et ceux ci sont magnifiques, rétros à souhait
je me régale aussi avec tout tes tricots vintage
je cherche des modèles de pulls gilets courts des années 40
à bientôt