Friday, February 16, 2007

Craft much?

In their comments on my last post, Chris and LoriZ rightly called me out as a big procrastinator. It's pretty obvious, I know: knitting the Arisaig sleeve, learning to crochet so I can start a blanket -- and I haven't even showed you Bill's new vest, which he's been wearing for almost a week already. And this was before I received a quilt kit in the mail today:


Even though I do have a small stash of fabric, I decided to dive into quilting with a kit. It's small -- just 40 inches square when finished. It will be my learning quilt, and I'm so excited to get started. The fabrics (more than 30 different prints!) are fabulous. I think I'm going to take the rest of today off and start arranging these little squares on my floor, and maybe I can start sewing this evening!

(In the photo, you can see my reworked crochet. I started again with a looser foundation row -- thank you, commenters Alison and Steph -- and decided it really needed a strip of pink before I went much farther. Then, in the background, is a novel [!] I have to read for school: What We All Long For by Dionne Brand. This is the first time since I took an English class at Concordia in 1993 that I've had to read a novel for school -- and that time, it was Ulysses, for pete's sake.)

It's probably for the best that my copy of the latest Interweave Knits hasn't appeared in my mailbox yet, don't you think? I'd probably just have to drop out of school.

8 comments:

miss ewe said...

I'm trying my hand at organized procrastination. I am "allowed" to knit for an hour if I accomplish certain pre-set tasks. It's almost effective.

Andrea said...

I'm so jealous, I've always wanted to learn to quilt and really, those quilt kits are pretty affordable but I just bought a drop spindle and can't imagine I'll have time (or money) to learn two new crafts.

I shall live vicariously through you!

Chris said...

At least you do procrastination in style! I think I mostly played Tetris, Civilization II, and cleaned back in my grad school days...

Nadia said...

It's a good thing it's reading break over here, because I've been sewing up a storm too!

knittingphilistine said...

Procrastination is the way of the future, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Anonymous said...

I like the new color order better. I will see if I have any remainders in bright colored wool to throw into the box next week.

Nicola said...

Here I sit knitting away, reading blogs, when really I ought to be writing my PhD funding proposal. Procrastination seems to be a particular affliction of grad students.

Anonymous said...

that is a very cute kit. look at you, expanding your craft horizons in every direction! very impressive! :) I'm going the other way, and dropping crafts in every direction! :)