Friday, October 06, 2006

I'm stuffed up and sneezing again. It's terrible. I went to bed at 8 o'clock last night, got up from midnight to 2 a.m. and watched some TV, and then slept till noon today. And now it's 4 p.m. and I'm exhausted. Sigh.

And sadly, I'm going to have to cut back on knitting. I just have so much to read for school, and now the writing assignments are starting, and it's all I can do to keep up. (As I've told a few people, on a 1-to-10 intensity scale, I'd put my M.A. at about 3.5, and the Ph.D. at 9.) For the past couple of weeks I've been knitting late at night instead of sleeping, but now I think that's caught up with me. I am going to try to finish a pair of socks for Bill's birthday next weekend, though. Here's what I've got so far:



Beauty, eh? The yarn is Cherry Tree Hill supersock (colour: River Run) that I bought online a year or so ago. I'm trying a new kind of short-row heel, using recent instructions from misocrafty. Basically, the wraps are passed over -- instead of knitted/purled together with -- the stitch at the end of each row. I found it harder to do than my usual way (which I think I originally learned from Wendy's sock pattern), and therefore slower. But I'm pleased with the result, which is a nice, tight seam. I like learning new techniques, too.

I've been considering knitting myself a sweater, specifically, Elizabeth Zimmerman's saddle-shoulder sweater. (I'm inspired by the beautiful photos of a Zimmerman sweater on b r o o k l y n t w e e d, which is not exactly the same sweater but close.) I think that as long as I accept that it will be a long-term project, it would be a good project to have on the needles. Bill tells me he would like a V-neck vest, too, which would be similarly simple, and easy to pick up for just a few rows and put down again. So I'll be knitting, but the FO rate will slow right down. Ah, life intervenes, doesn't it?

And speaking of reading, I must go back to it. What I really need to do is figure out a way to read better, more efficiently. There's probably a book about that, which I don't have time to read...

No comments: