Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I don't have time for this.

Remember a few weeks ago when I was going out to a knitting-group night and had nothing to knit? I've over-corrected.

I'm about to turn the heel on the second Embossed Leaves sock, and I'm still happy with those. (By the way, designer Mona has posted directions for making the E.L. socks shorter or longer while keeping the design feature of the leaves morphing into the star toe: go here.) I'm also stockinette-stitching my way towards the toe of the first Regia kitchen-colours sock. Still love those, too. Plenty to keep me occupied for the few measly rounds I have time to knit at the end of the day.

So what, pray tell, is this?



That, my friends, is the beginning of my Elizabeth Zimmerman saddle-shoulder sweater. On last week's whirlwind trip to Ontario, I had the chance to spend 10 minutes in a Michael's store, and I came out with six balls of Patons Classic Wool (colour: deep olive). The contrasting colour (inside the hem) is a thrift-store find from a year or so ago, also Patons Classic, but it doesn't even have a colour name. I'm using 4.5mm needles, and getting about 4.25/4.5 stitches per inch.

I've added a couple of inches since I took this photo, and I'm a little distressed about ladders. Every few rounds, I shift the DPNs over by a few stitches, but it looks pretty bad to me. I'm considering ripping this sleeve out and reknitting it flat. (Yes, I know the point of an E.Z. sweater is its seamlessness, but I don't really mind seaming. It's preferable to loosey-goosey knitting, don't you think?)

I have to go and work on another short paper now. And then read. And then go to class. And then come home and keep working on the paper. And then knit while I watch Lost. And then stay up late reading since I spent an hour watching Lost.

No comments: