Monday, August 28, 2006

You're right, you're right, I know you're right...*

That Koigu is purple, isn't it? Damn. I knew it. I guess I'll have to keep shopping. Poor me.

OK, so I had a pair of mindless-knitting socks on the go during July, and I just finished the last toe last week. (These aren't the socks I knit on my fishing trip, but I'll show you those ones soon, too.)



The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, in Funky Stripe. Now, this is not a colour combination I would have chosen for myself. It was sent to me by a generous reader over a year ago, and I admit I thought the colours were hideous on their own, let alone together. But the yarn itself is so lovely to knit with that I decided to cast on with it. Besides, you can't have too many pairs of handknit socks to wear around the house, especially when you spend much of your time around the house. And the colours have kind of grown on me -- not enough that you'll ever see me wearing these socks in public, mind you, but enough that I will happily wear them at home.

I'm also quite enamoured with the Claudia-style picot edges, seen here:



Less thrilling is the colour weirdness, leaving a spiral of bright purple blobs on one sock. (Unlike Fleece Artist or Cherry Tree Hill yarn, one skein of LL equals one sock, not a pair.) Anyway, whatevs. I imagine I'll pull out these socks on some dark and crappy day -- oh, like maybe today -- and I'll find them to be cheer-inducing.

* Does anyone recognize this line? It's from When Harry Met Sally; Bill and I say it all the time.

No comments: