Thursday, June 08, 2006

The next step

I've been keeping a secret.

You know I'm trying to finish my master's thesis. It's getting there -- I'll probably finish in July, and I'm trying not to get too stressed over it.

The secret is what I'll do after that. I've been trying to stay in the present and do the work that needs to be done, so I didn't want to get ahead of myself, but on Friday (yikes -- tomorrow) Bill and I are taking a little trip to find a place to live ... in Montreal. I'll be starting a Ph.D. at McGill in September.

It's all very exciting, although I'm very anxious about the move -- finding a good place, packing everything up here, spending all the money that it costs to move to another province and get set up there, and of course finishing my thesis and defending it in the middle of everything.

I'm looking forward to everything that will come after the stress of moving. Unlike my last two moves, I'm not going to a totally new and unknown place. I lived in Montreal off and on between 1991 and 1994, so I already know my way around parts of the city, and I still have good friends there. I plan to study French when I get there, since my French sucks. I also plan to eat a lot of bagels. I anticipate kissing lots of people on both cheeks.

Anyhoo, that's my big news. Wish me luck with finding a place. I'll post when I'm there if I have time, or else I'll see you when I get back next week. A bientôt!

No comments: