Friday, June 30, 2006

Clearly another confession is in order...

I've been knitting. I know, I know! But not a lot or very often, and not as a stalling tactic. I've realized that I need to pace myself to meet this deadline (at least until the last three or four days, when I'll stay up round the clock and get really scary). And I'm still on track, which is why I'm going to show you these pictures -- because you know I could sit on them for a week or two and pretend this knitting took place later, right? But I want us to be honest with each other. So here goes: I knit a toque.



First thought on seeing these pictures: Yep, cute hat -- wha...? Do I really look this tired? Look at the freakin' bags and circles under my eyes! In fact, the dark circles go quite well with the two grey hairs I discovered yesterday. Sigh.



Anyway, I've just been knitting this a bit each night before bed, in front of the TV. I wanted something simple that was a change from socks, and I'd long ago bookmarked the free pattern for Crumpart's chocolate ribs hat. That pattern, combined with about 1.75 balls of Karaoke soy silk and some 4.0mm needles, resulted in a more nutritious, low-fat, high-protein version of cute toqueness: the soy ribs hat.



I quite like how the greeny-blue at the top looks -- since I was knitting from ripped bits and pieces of earlier, doomed projects, there's a rich variegated quality because I used different greeny-blue pieces from slightly different places in the stripe sequence.



So there you go. I confess. And now I'm getting back to my thesis, I promise! Well, I might have a nap first -- I look like hell.

No comments: