Saturday, November 05, 2005

Update, and a meme

I'm here! I'm still here. And I'm thinking I need to learn more about time management if I'm actually going to keep doing this academic stuff. My colloquium presentation went pretty well, I'm told, and all the funding applications are done and out of my hands. My first thesis chapter still eludes me, and keeps me from falling asleep like a normal person.

But I've started knitting again -- I really need to have a way of taking a break that doesn't involve looking at the computer. I finally figured out what to do with some of my thrifted Briggs & Little wool. Hey, Carolyn, I'm knitting a sweater! I've started the Urban Aran from the Patons Street Smarts pattern book (that of the blogworld-renowned Must Have Cardigan). I am planning to knit the body in red and the sleeves in brown, since I only have about 950 yards of the red. And I'm determined to have this sweater fit -- I'm making the Small size (and I'm not small!). It's a ribbed sweater, so I'd rather it be tight than big. I've only done about eight inches of the back so far:



I've also fished my dad's Double Diamonds socks out of the Drawer of Languishing Knits, since my dad's birthday is coming up at the end of this month. I have to finish these socks!

OK, a meme. I've been tagged by Lori, who knows very well that I'm a procrastinator with a chapter due. These were tough questions to answer! As a knitter, I've been swirling around in a sock vortex for the last year, so my knowledge of knitting publications, designers, etc. has gotten a bit dismal. Plus I'm not trying all kinds of new techniques or yarns (other than sock yarns). Anyway, here goes...

What is your all time favourite yarn to knit with?
Merino sock yarn (e.g., old-school Fleece Artist, Cherry Tree Hill).

Your favourite needles?
Circular Inox -- just because I accumulated most of my knitting needles when I started knitting, in Taiwan, and these were what was available. My 2.25mm size circs get the most use, since I always use them to knit sock-weight socks.

The worst thing you've ever knit?
If something's not going well, I have no qualms about abandoning it. This way, I don't end up with a whole sweater that's just terrible. However, I did, just a week or so ago, whip up a hat that ended up being a wee bit on the big side...



I used a ball of the Karaoke soy silk/wool and an IK pattern from last year, called the 76-Stitches Hat. Sure, my gauge was a little off, but my head's a little big! I finished the hat and knew I'd never, ever wear it. I know I'm not the only one who gets seduced by the IK model -- she looks so cute in the photos of the 76-stitches hat, but now I know that cute photos don't guarantee a cute hat. Consider Exhibit A:



Cute, right? No! What this photo is really saying is, This is the only way I could possibly wear this hat and be able to see at the same time. (But, I made this during a very stressful couple of days, so the real purpose was just to knit soft stockinette for a while. I don't mind ripping it out to knit the other armwarmer.)

Your most favourite knit pattern? (maybe you don't like wearing it...but it was the most fun to knit)
I really liked knitting the Must Have Cardigan, and I was so impressed that it turned out so well.

Most valuable knitting technique?
Cabling without a cable needle saves lots of time over a many-cabled project.

Best knitting book or magazine?
Even though I very rarely use the patterns, I love to pore through Interweave Knits, Vogue Knitting, and Knitty. The photographs in books by Sarah Dallas are lovely to look at and make me want to knit beautiful things.

Your favourite knit-along?
I haven't been much of a knit-along-er...

Your favourite knitblogs?
First, I don't get to spend as much time reading knitblogs as I'd like to. Second, I'm not really one to pick favourites. You know who you are. (I will say that I never go more than a few days without checking in with my girls: Cari, Em, and Rachael.)

Your favourite knitwear designer?
Two names spring to mind -- which is funny because I've started but never finished designs by both of them: Veronik Avery and Jodi Green. As for the big-name super-famous designers, I get them all mixed up.

The knit item you wear the most? (how about a picture of it!)
I wear most of my handknit socks, especially around the house. The one item I wear out of the house the most (weather permitting) is my feather and fan scarf. I couldn't find any photos of me wearing it, so, just for you, I staged a shot yesterday afternoon in my car:



There, I did it! I'm not going to tag anyone in particular with this, but feel free to answer these questions on your blog.

Have a great weekend. I'll try to come back soon.

No comments: