Friday, July 15, 2005

You gotta keep 'em separated

Beatrix is on the couch...



...and Mooky is in the bathroom... (What? Oh, yeah, like your cat doesn't prefer to drink water from a glass!)



...and this is how it's going to be for a while. They've both done a lot of sniffing around. Bea spent last night outside, so Mook was able to hang out all over the house. This morning Bea was upstairs and Mook was downstairs. There have been a couple of times when they've found themselves on opposite sides of the same French door, and Bea has flipped out. (A sheet has since been tacked up over the glass in that door.) We're taking it slow. It's really pretty smooth so far...

In hopes that both the Sock Muse and the Finishing Fairy will stick around for a while, I thought I'd confront the languishing socks head on. I have four pairs, each pair abandoned at a different stage of being knitted. Let's have a look and then run down the list:



1. Toe-up, ribbed Silja socks. (Status: three-quarters of the way through the first sock.) I love the look and feel of sturdy ribbed socks (these are k3, p1), but ribbing is boring. Still, I love the colours in this yarn, and it's really soft, so knowing I'll love wearing them should spur me on.

2. The scrapbuster spirals. (Status: one complete sock + one complete foot, including heel.) These are fun and colourful, so I'm not sure what happened here. Probably the fact that I'm knitting these on dpns, and using three yarns at the same time can get a little tangly. But I only have the leg to do, so no excuses here.

3. Citrus cotton socks. (Status: one complete sock + a few inches of cuff.) The only thing more boring than ribbing is plain stockinette. But I'm a little conservative with sock-knitting: I don't believe in mixing self-striping sock yarn with fancy stitches. I really wish I'd used this yarn to make two pairs of ankle socks, but I've come too far to turn back now.

4. Dad's double diamonds. (Status: a toe away from one complete sock.) Oh, the shame. These were supposed to be a Christmas present for my dad. Last Christmas. I think I need to admit that I only want to knit for myself. Even more, I need to finish these blasted socks!

I'm working on a pair of pretty comfy socks in Wildfoote right now (which means I cast on 72 sts instead of 48), and when I finish, with you as my witness, I will finish one of the pairs of languishing socks. Yes I will.

No comments: