Saturday, January 22, 2005

Horizontal

That describes the direction that the snow outside is traveling. I don't think any of it is landing on the ground -- it's just passing through sideways.

So it's the perfect day to stay in the house with the fire on, lots of coffee, blogs, and tunes! I've been tagged by the lovely and talented Ms. Cari to answer a few questions about music. She managed to answer these same questions in a straightforward manner, but not me! Bear with me as I qualify each response, will you? Are you feeling comfortable? Then let us begin…

1. Total amount of music files on your computer: none

Qualification: I am a technophobe. I'm not a Luddite; after all, I have a computer, a blog, and three e-mail addresses. But I am so far from being tech-savvy. Plus, my computer is a piece of crap. It's a secondhand Toshiba laptop, and no, I don't know anything about its system-type thingy. Several keys on the keyboard don't work, so I have the keyboard (and the mouse) from my old iMac hooked up to it. It's basically a Frankenputer. It's for typing, not for music. I listen to music the old-fashioned (if the 1990s are old-fashioned) way: I buy CDs and put them into the CD player in the stereo in the living room, or in my car. Sometimes I burn CDs on Bill's computer. Or someone gives me a CD. Or I listen to the radio.

2. The CD you last bought is: Josh Ritter's Hello Starling (I think -- and that was last fall), or was it Belle and Sebastian's Books EP?

Qualification: I only buy one out of every hundred or so CDs I actually want to buy. I don't have much extra money right now, so I'm not buying any of life's luxuries. How about this: the other day, I almost bought the Pixies greatest hits (23 songs!).

3. What is the song you last listened to before reading this message? something by Neil Young

Qualification: Bill put After the Gold Rush on while I was in the shower. I'm not a big Neil Young fan. He's one of those musicians -- like Geddy Lee, or Roger Waters -- who is clearly a genius, but who makes music that isn't my style. The last song I listened to that was chosen by me would have been something from Hawksley Workman's For Him and the Girls (let's say it was "Bullets"), which is on rotation in my car right now.

4. Write down 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you:

Preamble: These are songs that I don't necessarily listen to a lot, but at any given moment I would happily put any of them on the stereo and lay down on the floor with my eyes closed and my head next to a speaker:

  • "Joy is the Aim" by Mary Margaret O'Hara
  • "Love and Affection" by Joan Armatrading
  • "Praise!" by Kinnie Starr
  • "Romeo and Juliet" by the Indigo Girls
  • "Waste of Paint" by Bright Eyes

  • 5. Who are you going to pass this stick to? (3 persons) and why?

    I'm going to pass the spirit stick to the Divine Ms. Em, because I know she likes good music; to Susan, because I suspect that her answers will contain bands that are really good and that I've never heard of (my favourite kind), and to Nicole, because I have no idea what her answers will be, but I know she goes to karaoke. Take it and run, ladies!

    No comments: