Tuesday, November 30, 2004

You're only getting half the story

I've been blogging almost entirely about knitting lately because the only other thing in my life is school. I'm consumed by it. As some people would say, I've been burning the candle at both ends of the spectrum. And there just isn't much to say about it here -- unless people want to hear about Canadian communication technology theorists, or the ins and outs of completing a university ethics review form. (Don't everybody raise your hands at once.)

I'm extra busy this week, since on top of my own work I'm grading first-year term papers. And they are not good. High school students are clearly not being taught how to write. I've been reading the most convoluted, poorly constructed sentences. The grammar is shameful. The wordiness is painful. Thesauruses (or thesauri, if you like) should be banned among students who ask themselves, "What's the longest word I can use instead of 'do'?" Dictionaries, however, should be cracked open from time to time! (Note to one of the students who wrote on broadcasting history: The CRTC does not have a history of "chastity." I don't know what the hell you are talking about.)

I must comment about my comments. I love everyone who leaves a comment here. Alas, I hardly ever respond with a personal e-mail. Why not? Well, technical reasons, actually. Two things: first, I don't have the kind of comments-arrangement where I get notified of comments by e-mail. I just open the comments box and read them. (This is why I have it so the last commenter's name appears -- it's easier for me to see if a new comment has been made since I last looked.) Second, I don't use 0utlook Expre$$ for e-mail. If you leave me a comment and input your e-mail address, I can't actually access your e-mail address. (Does this make any sense?) This sucks big time for blogless commenters, I know. Most likely I'm just being a technodoofus, and there's a really simple way around this -- if so, let me know. In the meantime, if you are asking me a question (hi, Erika and KJ), you might want to send me an e-mail. My e-mail address is at the bottom of my About Me page.

Can you believe this is the second last week of classes? My life is insane, but only for a couple more weeks. Amazing. I have to start thinking about Xmas plans!

2 comments:

Bliss This! said...

Hi!
Just read some of your blog, I loves it so. Love, love, love your skull sweater, your work is amazing. Also must say that yes the American elections were super tense, but if you're ever looking for tension in a canadian election try volunteering in a municipal one in the most self centered city in the country (Toronto, a.k.a. 'Center of the Universe'). So Montreal, the french isn't necessary thanks to T.V. So early in the morning everything is incoherent, I hope my spelling wasn't offensive.
Elle
p.s. I too loves the kitties, I've had 3; Mio, Somnus (my greek god of sleep) and the notorious Bettie Page (that's always fun at the vet)

Anonymous said...

I substituted in a high school classroom on three separate occasions. They worked on apostrophe worksheets each time and some of them still didn't get it. It was sad, but I think it was mostly due to the fact that they really didn't care about being there.