Saturday, September 18, 2004

It's Saturday, I've got work to do, and I'm stalling

I reknit half of the Everyday Cardigan sleeve for the third time and then I knew what to do: forget the EC and knit another RP. I know what I like, and I like my Retro Prep pullover. I think it'll be beautiful in the Peace Fleece. I'm going to hunt down the perfect cable pattern to knit into the front of the sweater. Stay tuned.

The powers that be in Beijing don't want the young people of China to know -- to really know -- about the horrors of the Cultural Revolution, but author Xinran does: "Younger generation of Chinese should know how brave their parents were."

Sigourney Weaver calls 'em like she sees 'em: "To me, big breasts, hot pants and a gun in your hand aren't what makes a heroine."

I see that Eats, Shoots and Leaves is still getting media coverage, as the author's book tour takes her to Asia. Just today, there's a Reuters story: "Comma crusader takes pedants' revolt to Asia" -- with a comma missing from its lead sentence. Tsk tsk.

There's a nice feature in yesterday's Christian Science Monitor about London (the one in England) written by a literature type: "A wordsmith's pilgrimage in London."

Canadians will already know about this, but I don't know how well our news filters through the border: Manitoba this week became our fifth province/territory to legally recognize same-sex marriage. (Most news stories claim that Manitoba is the fourth province to do so, which is true -- but the Yukon has made the same ruling.) Nova Scotia, you're next.

And speaking of marriage and good news, our Cari is getting married today. Go on over and wish her well, won't you?

Bea sees trees!

No comments: