Wednesday, May 26, 2004

I just discovered I can have titles.

Bush abuses name of prison

Two rehearsals for his prime-time speech on Monday were not enough to keep US President George W. Bush from mangling the name of the Abu Ghraib prison that brought shame to the US mission in Iraq. Bush mispronounced Abu Ghraib each of the three times he mentioned it while announcing plans to tear down the infamous jail. The prison is usually pronounced by English speakers as "abu-grabe." But Bush, long known for verbal and grammatical lapses, stumbled on the first try, calling it "abugah-rayp." The second version came out "abu-garon," the third sounded like "abu-garah." White House aides said Bush practiced twice on Monday before leaving for the venue at the US Army War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

(from the Taipei Times' World Quick Take)
The great thing about a bottom-up raglan is that the knitting speeds up as you finish. After all the stockinette of the sleeves and body, round and round and round, you get to the yoke and start to decrease -- and zoom! Suddenly, you're almost done. I'm at the point now where I could bind off and wear this sweater to try-outs for a revival of Flashdance.

I'm going to Malaysia this weekend! Bill has to go to KL, so I'm going along, too -- just from Friday to Sunday. I wasn't going to go, but I've never been, and this jet-setting-around-Asia thing isn't going to last much longer. So I changed my mind; I said to Bill, "OK, I'll go because it's another big city to cross off my list, and it's not too-too expensive, and it's OK to take one day off work once in a while, and we haven't been away together for six months." (And then Bill, who has heard me try to justify spending my money a thousand times, rolled his eyes and said, "Go because there's a bar in the hotel pool.")

No comments: