Monday, February 09, 2004

Judging a book by its cover

During my last semester at university, I worked for the first couple of weeks making student cards. It was fun; it involved getting to look at a person's photo I.D. ("Ha ha, your middle name is _____!" -- just kidding), taking his or her picture with a fancy digital camera, and then waiting for a card to pop out. I was finishing my B.A. in Communication. I made a student card for Christine; she was starting a post-baccalaureate diploma in Communication. We chatted for a minute or two. I saw by her driver's license that we were the same age and lived two blocks apart. Above all, I just thought she looked like a cool lady -- someone I wanted to know. I think it was later the same day that I ran into her at a café on campus, and we exchanged phone numbers and talked about getting together. And then we did! And we've kept in touch, even though I left the city about four months later. The fact is, I met Christine because I judged a book by its (stylish vintage leopard-print) cover.

I tell you this because I know there are a lot of library types in the knitblog world. My friend Christine has been working in libraries for a decade, but now she's in library school and she has a relatively new blog, called Ask Nettie Day. And since she's smart and funny, you should go and have a look. Check out her links, too, especially Librarian Spotting, where she addresses the stereotypical depictions of librarians in mainstream media (and also provides a link so that you can order your own Librarian Action Figure!). Oh yeah, she paints and knits a bit and she's a fellow Grammar Avenger, too. Go and say hello, will ya? And then put those books back on the shelves where you found them. And keep your voice down! Heh.

No comments: