Monday, November 03, 2003

I went to see Kill Bill on Saturday. I liked it. I imagine there's lots of talk in the West about the violence in this movie, just as there was with Q.T.'s previous films. I disagree that violence is violence is violence. The fighting in Kill Bill is so stylized and outrageous, and so clearly a tribute to earlier samurai/kung fu movies. Decapitations! Flying severed limbs! Buckets of blood! Besides, it's worth seeing for the music alone. You could close your eyes and just listen. Nancy Sinatra singing "Bang Bang" in surround sound? I dare you to hear it without getting chills. And the costume Daryl "The Knitter" Hannah is wearing when we first see her? Awesome -- and yet another film tribute. Anyway, I'm not one of the people who think Q.T. is the second coming of Christ. This isn't a Great Film. But its timing is impeccable. Whether you want to see it or not, you should have a quick read of this: Americans cheer "Kill Bill" but are shielded from images of real violence.

Oh, and if you have seen it, can you tell me something? Did the Japanese bits have English subtitles?

No comments: