Saturday, July 19, 2003

There was an excellent storm here earlier this afternoon: thunder, lightning, pouring rain. We have a tin roof, so the rain was really loud. How loud was it? It was so loud that I had to turn up the volume on the TV so I didn't miss any of the dialogue in Karate Kid! Ah, Saturday afternoon television in a foreign land. At least it was in English.

There was a really entertaining column in the Guardian yesterday: "Subplots abound" by John O'Farrell. Apparently a journalist was caught fibbing bits of a story he filed during the war in Iraq. O'Farrell wonders how we can be sure that other Iraq coverage wasn't fabricated as well. It's an important question, of course, and not a new one, but I've never read something so funny about it before:

When Winston Churchill was too busy to give his famous radio broadcasts, a 1940s impressionist was brought in to show off his vocal skills. Huddled around their wireless sets, British families heard their prime minister saying: "We shall never surrender. But in the meantime, who else can we see in the farmyard today? Why, it's Mr Duck! Quack, quack!"
I've almost finished the knitting on my red Bulky Baby Bibby sweater. I still haven't gone back to the Regia raglan to make its neck opening bigger. I'm afraid! Maybe tomorrow. Then ChicKami. Then Haiku sleeves.

I said the other day that I'm making wrist warmers. Now they are wristbands. With bobbles! I wanted a fancy finish, so I pulled out my Knitting for Dummies book and learned to bobble. (Warning: You are about to read the word "bobble" as a verb, probably far too many times.) I bobbled around the top of the wristband and then cast off on the next row. Lovely! Now I want to bobble everything! Sweaters? Bobble! Hats? Bobble! Boyfriend? Bobble! Blog?

Go on! Bobble!

It's a downright Bobblepalooza, dude.

No comments: