Monday, April 28, 2003



I've turned the heel of my second Regia spring sock, and I'm in the home stretch now. I'm very happy with them. Only one problem, and I blame the pattern (which otherwise is great): OK, you cast on 56 sts., so the heel flap is 28 sts. across. No problem there. But the way the pattern says to start the heel flap is to knit across for 14 sts. and then turn and come back 28 sts. Makes sense, right? Except that the sock is in a K2, P2 rib, so what happens here is that the instep of the sock ends up being K2 on one side and P2 on the other. (Is this making any sense to you?) Basically, the ribbing on the top of the foot is uneven. By the time I realized it on the first sock, there was no way I was going to rip out the whole heel. I'm just not that kind of girl. So on the second sock I knit across 13 sts to start the heel flap, and then back across 28 sts, so now the instep is K1 on each side. Much better! Look at me, I'm a-learnin'!

SARS update: Taiwan has officially barred visitors from Canada. Bill and I are planning a vacation home in August. What if this keeps up? Will we be allowed to fly into Canada from Taiwan? If so, will we be allowed to come back? Ai-yo! as the old Chinese ladies say.

No comments: