Like many others, I'm sad to see the end of Dangerous Chunky, which had been a factor in my decision to get online. She always had a good mix of craftiness and pop culture.
There was an excellent column in the Guardian the other day (as usual), by Simon Tisdall, making an analogy between the UN and an unruly kindergarten class: "Act your age, not your security council coalition size".
You are the classy pin-up! You are everything
sophisticated and refined about the entire era.
You exude class and dignity.
What Type Of Retro Gal Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla
So I have very exciting news: I'm going back to Canada to visit my parents for two weeks, and I leave on Friday. It's an unexpected trip, and I'm very happy to be going. Besides seeing people, here's what I'm looking forward to the most:
- The Summerland Hospital Ladies' Auxiliary Thrift Shop: I plan to buy enough crap that the local hospital can buy a few new beds
- my mom's washing machine: give me an F! ...E! ...L! ...T!
- washing my hands with warm water in bathrooms
- being specific in stores and restaurants: instead of either (a) pointing at something and saying "yi-ge..." [translation: "I'll have one of those things, whatever it is, I don't know your language"] or (b) waving my hands in front of me and saying "bu yao" [translation: "I don't want that"], I plan to be like Sally in "When Harry Met Sally" ["Yes, I'll have the green salad with French dressing, but I'd like the dressing on the side, and..."]
- watching the Academy Awards
- paying sales tax
- that's about it, actually