Saturday, June 28, 2008

New yarn

When I was out west, I wanted to buy yarn that was at least a little bit local -- that originated from B.C. animals, or was spun and/or dyed there. I'm happy with what I ended up with: yarns that speak to me (and will remind me) of the west coast.


This wool is really special. Remember the sheep photos in this post? Those sheep (specifically, the white ewes in that group of sheep) made this wool. They live on Cortes Island; a lovely woman named Joy raises them and dyes the wool (which is spun at a mill in Alberta). Each skein measures about 50 meters; I thought I'd make striped mittens with these colours.


At left is a 820-yard skein of laceweight silk (Silk Tree yarn #60), which I bought at the Silk Weaving Studio on Granville Island, in Vancouver (where I watched silkworms munching on mulberry leaves for a while). It's very thin and has a thready feel.

At right is a skein of Handmaiden silk-wool Mini Maiden, which is dyed in Vancouver (by Fleece Artist's daughter). I bought it at a cute shop called Mad About Ewe (no website? really?) in Nanaimo. I think I'll use it for a Flower Basket Shawl (Ravelry link).

And in the middle is a ball of laceweight alpaca that I bought at Birkeland Bros. Wool in Vancouver. (That store has really changed and now carries tons of yarns.) This yarn had no label, but I was told it came from Golden Fleece Alpacas in Mission, B.C.

And that's it! Clearly I'm all about teal and lace, either separately or together.

Plus, while I was gone...

1. Holy February Lady Sweater! According to Ravelry, about eleventy gazillion knitters are working on Pam's awesome EZ-based design, including me. Many are using soft, pretty yarns; me, I'm using slightly scratchy wool. I like the idea of the juxtaposition of lace and heavy wool -- like a winter bed jacket for a pioneer woman. I'm not entirely sure it's going to work; plus, due to increasing humidity, I may put this whole project away for a few months. (No need for progress photos, since my version is solid black.)

2. I thought I'd lost her! But Cari, formerly of Dogs Steal Yarn, is not gone -- just moved to a new spot: Dispatches from Utopia. Whew!

3. I had a look at this here blog from a few different computers, and much to my horror, the colours in all the photos looked really bright and garish. Everything looks perfect on my laptop. How do things look to you? Have I been posting garishly coloured pictures lo these many years? Or is my computer right and everything looks OK?

19 comments:

Joan said...

Everything looks fine on this end.

emilyoboe said...

ooh! I didn't know there was such nice yarn to be had at Granville Island and I live in Vancouver. silly me. do you know some equivalently unique-to-Montreal destinations or yarns that you could mention? I'm spending some time there at the end of July/start of august and would love to buy something more place-specific. thanks!

Also, my ibook G4 doesn't have any problems with your blog (to the best of my knowledge)

and the image of a bed jacket for a pioneer woman is very charming, I like it : )

Anonymous said...

Everything looks fine to me.

Nice yarns you collected on your trip!

alligator said...

Hurray for souvenir yarn! I love all the teals, I think you've even inspired me to look at teal in a new way because I have been picking up and looking at a lot of teal yarns that I never would have considered before!

As far as the photos they look fine on my computer.

Violet said...

Gorgeous yarn! I love getting local(ish) souvenir yarn, too. And thank you for posting about Cari- I was just thinking about (and missing!) her blog today.

Cari said...

Thanks for the road sign, GAWK :)

Shari said...

Pictures look fine to me!

Anonymous said...

Doesn't look garish to me! Those teals are gorgeous!

Yarnmama said...

looks great to me, not a bit garish. :)

Ruth said...

The colors look fine on my computer. Not garish, and very believable as something you'd like to knit!

Jesse said...

Your photos always look lovely to me, not garish at all. Perhaps the other computers you checked all had really eccentric settings?

Anonymous said...

lovely. not garish. ;)

Veronique said...

Pics look fine on my computer!
Love the teals... Good finds :)

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are always look good to me.

Sue said...

I love your pictures! Eye candy.

spajonas said...

i love that yarn you got! great colors! your photos have always looked ok to me. what kind of computer do you have? have you ever calibrated your monitor?

Montreal Mama said...

Nice stash enhancement!

pamela wynne said...

I had the thing happen to me--my photos look way less bright on my monitor! So I think yours are lovely, but that could be my dull monitor talking.

Also, woo! for scratchy wool sweaters. I hope you get some cool weather to work on it in. :)

Anonymous said...

Your pics look good here. I had a similar concern a while ago, but it turned out that the monitor in question was an older one, on its way out.