I made this top yesterday. It felt absolutely luxurious, spending the day sewing! I used a Built By Wendy pattern (Simplicity 3835) and an
old vin-tahge sheet from V. Village. It was fun and easy to sew, which is exactly what I was looking for since I haven't sewn much in a while.
I don't know if it's the fabric or the elastic, but I'm a little afraid that if I actually wear this shirt I'll end up being the answer to a question I never want to hear, like: "Who's that girl in the peasant blouse?"
I have no such reservations about yesterday's second sewing project, though. I'm very sweet on my new headband.
I used Heather Bailey's free pattern -- PDF: Hooray for Headbands -- and some thrifted fabric. I really love it, and I'd like to make another one with a large-print fabric.
Somehow, this headband is really comfortable, and it doesn't threaten to pop off my head. There's a little strip of elastic at the back, under the ties. I'm going to get a haircut later this week, so I can't be sure I'll still have headband-hair, but if I do, I'm definitely making more of these. It's a great way to wear a little bit of a nice print, and the pattern is simple and straightforward. It's not easy to photograph your own head, though -- I tried a few times before enlisting Bill's help. I do really like one of the shots I took; it doesn't really show off the headband, but it shows you that I was outside with my little buddy:
Tuesday, May 08, 2007