Thursday, May 17, 2007

7 facts

Dr. Steph tagged me for this meme. Then I was tagged by letah75, but her version involves eight things -- I can hardly think of seven, so I'm going with Steph's rules. Fortunately, these things just need to be true, not profound or fascinating.

Each person tagged gives 7 random facts about themselves. Those tagged need to write in their blogs 7 facts, as well as the rules of the game. You need to tag seven others and list their names on your blog. You have to leave those you plan on tagging a note in their comments so they know that they have been tagged and need to read your blog. The facts:

1. I'm currently knitting Kate. I don't really know why -- it's more of a "why not?" project. It's fun. Basically, you knit a gourd and some glove fingers. The smallest bag of fiberfill I could find was giant (one pound, which is a lot considering polyester fluff doesn't really weigh anything), so there may be more stuffed toys in my crafting future. I've got my eye on the Pointy Kitty over at Wee Wonderfuls.

2. So far so good with my corduroy dress. I love piping! I want to put piping on everything! Last night I had successfully attached the first sleeve (a sweet little cap sleeve -- with piping!) when the power went out. For two hours. So that was the end of last night's sewing. I was hoping to get the sewing finished last night, or at least everything but the zipper; maybe I can do it tonight. I want to finish this dress, and then I want to make another one in plaid, and another one in polka dots, and another one in a solid colour, and...

3. I'm giving a paper at a conference this Saturday. I'm very excited, since the conference is all about crime and media, which is right up my alley. I'll be talking about press coverage around the production and release of Karla in Canada.

4. On Monday, I'm getting on a plane and flying across the country! For the next two-and-a-half weeks, I'll be on (or near) the west coast. First, just over a week in the Okanagan with my parents; then a few days visiting friends in Vancouver; and then a few days seeing some friends and family in San Francisco. I can't wait. I haven't been out to B.C. since Christmas 2005, and my last trip to San Francisco was in ... 1999?

5. I'm at the heel flap of my second Monkey sock. (I'm getting desperate here. Seven facts about me? Clearly that's three too many -- some may even say it's seven too many.)

6. Thanks to a recent link from Jo S., I now must have this T-shirt. While we're at it, let's have a look at some recent wanty bookmarks: Fluevog boots, which I can pick up while in Vancouver if I find myself with an extra $300; a few skeins of merino from Oceanwind Knits -- maybe in sweetgrass and poppy; Divisadero by Michael Ondaatje; fabric, fabric, and more fabric; and my copy of the current issue of Interweave Knits (hello, post office?).

7. I have to get back to work now! I'm not going to tag anyone in particular for this; it's a meme, not a chain letter. Feel free to share facts about yourself if you're so inclined.

16 comments:

Elizabeth said...

As usual, I love your choices of projects and fabrics. Cute Kate, cute corduroy (with piping!) and cute fabrics from Reprodepot.

lori said...

oh have fun with the travel. I wish I could go travel (for vacation) again soon!

any chance that you're going further down the coast than SF?

Nadia said...

Hey dude! I know that vacations are always tight for time, but any chance that you'd have time for a blogger knit-out thing?

Anonymous said...

Your Kate is cute. (I love getting into those knit toys. But knitter can't live on toys alone - or can she?)

And I lovelovelove that t-shirt and will be promptly either getting it. Thanks!

Romi said...

Hey! My Masters thesis was on crime coverage in the media! Specifically how a particular kidnapping in California spurred more similar news coverage, sparked people's fears, and eventually led to California's "Three Strikes" law.

Very cool. Good luck with it! Have a great time. :)

Mia said...

I love Oceanwinds merino. I have poppy in the stash and almost bought sweet grass. Instead I bought Vancouver. Enjoy your vacation.

PCR said...

I love your version of Kate! I have knit two, one for my niece and one for my nephew. It was so much fun, I think I could knit three more. Can't wait to see her when she's all done!

Anonymous said...

wow there's more than 7 things just in #6 alone. :) i haven't read ondaatje in years but that one sounds lovely. and the boots. i want the boots. i have a hair appt on saturday and oh gosh there's a fluevog across the street. what luck. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so envious of your sewing! I can't break out the machine until I get back from vacation (oh, woe is me, right?) in the middle of June. Right now I am in a mumblejumble of writing and knitting is about all I can handle.

Hey, that's me! I am so excited to see you in real time. The real question is: grubby SF-style burrito or semi-SF style, but better vegetarian burrito?

letah75 said...

Hi,

I'm glad you did the 7 things. I am originally from Oakland, CA so I hope you have fun in my home area.

Funny about the crime and media thing, I just did a radio interview about that same topic. If you go here about 5 or so posts down it talks about what I talked about.

It always cool to see what you have in common with people. Makes the world feel smaller.

Chris said...

Good luck with your presentation!

Oh oh, that t-shirt is too cool...

Protagitron said...

Fluevog shoes are muy fantastico, and those Tiff Brogues are awesome. Pay the 300$, and then write it off on your income tax as some sort of health and/or business necessity. I'm trying to finagle my way into getting a pair of the crimson Fiat shoes.
And that dress is looking very cute.

Stacey said...

those t-shirts are adorable!!!!! thanks for the links!

claudia said...

Love the ears on that toy.

Gaile said...

darn! you're coming out to this coast just as I get on a plane to go to madison for 10 days! blather! have a great trip though!!

Dr. Steph said...

Your paper sounds very interesting. Hope it went well.

I used the 7 facts to create a blog entry, and you turned your 7 facts into a great post!