Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Like, totally

I'm loving the tubular cast-on at Blustery's bottom edge:


This takes a garment to another level, don't you think? So professional. (Well, once it's blocked, anyway.) Blustery's designer, Anna, has a very clear tutorial -- with lots of photos -- for doing a tubular cast-on. (She also has one for a tubular (sewn) bind-off, which I'll need to consult later in this pattern.)

I've finished knitting the left front of the vest. I don't plan to keep up this pace, though, since I have lots of work to do. But I couldn't sleep last night, so I finally got out of bed, poured a glass of wine, curled up on the couch with Mooky, and worked on the lovely golden-sugar stockinette.

I'm enjoying the KP Merino Style; the fabric is smooth, soft, and light. I anticipate pilling, as with any merino, but I'm extra wary of the KnitPicks since I recently had to throw away a pair of socks I'd made with their Sock Garden. I think the yarn was just too soft -- the pilling was out of control, and I ended up with big holes in both heels. So I wouldn't use their merino again for socks, but I think it will make a nice vest. Have you used this yarn for a sweater? On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is no pilling at all and 10 is a snarled mess, how does the Merino Style hold up?

13 comments:

Stacey said...

I haven't used it, but like you said, it's merino - so I'd expect some pilling. At least there is no wool-on-wool action at the underarm area to really make it bad. My sock garden socks are pilling too - but for the price I didn't expect them to hold up forever....

Lyssa said...

I would rate it on the pilling scale at about a four or five...it is plenty durable enough for a sweater, but you'll have to shave it now and then. I used it to make a kid's sweater, and though it was nice and soft, I don't think I would do that again!

Chris said...

I can't comment on the pilling... Was Mooky glad of the middle of night company, or was he like my cats: "What the hell are you doing up at this time of night?! You are messing up our schedule! You must feed us know to repay us!"

goodkarma said...

I absolutely agree that tubular cast-ons and bind-offs are beautiful things. I haven't used KP Merino Style yet, so I'm watching your comments with curiousity.

LaurieM said...

I learned the tubular cast on when knitting a hat from Charlene Schurch's "Hat's On!" book. It totally rocks.

I've entirely sworn off all merino only socks, including STR and Koigu. Love the yarns, just not on my feet. I'm going to try some of the handpaints with mohair and see if that's a good alternative.

It's no savings of money to me if they wear out in less than a year.

Veronique said...

I used to work tubular cast-ons in the way that is explained in the tutorial you linked to (actually, I followed the instructions in the Montse Stanley book, which are the same). However, since I've discovered the Italian Super Quick tubular cast-on, I have never worked the Long and Tedious way again!
It's explained beautifully on Fluff Buff's blog:
http://www.fluffbuff.com/2006/07/tubular_caston_without_the_was_1.html

Anonymous said...

Oh, I *heart* tubular cast on, esp. the italian cast on that veronique links to above. It does look really professional and it's got all kind of streatch (great for socks). Of course, the tubular bind off is a pain in the ass, but similarly worth it.

stephanie said...

delurking to say that i'd put kp merino style at about a 4-5 as well. i knit a full sized sweater out of it that gets decent wear in the dead of winter here in buffalo (its fully ribbed and therefore VERY heavy) and there is some pilling and some shaving, but nothing i'd categorize as excessive.

loving the tubular cast on as well!

Anonymous said...

Wow, time for me to add a couple of bookmarks. Those tutorials are great!

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting to rip a 2 x 2 rib for my husband and change over to a more complex design (2 x 2 rib in black. Dude. No way. A Gap sweater). But I can't because I'm so in awe of the tubular cast-on I did. It's actually kind of pathetic how attached I am to it, but it does make such a difference, doesn't it?

Romi said...

That is one of my *favorite* cast-ons! I use it for top down socks, hats and gloves. I love it. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, so, maybe you should ask Jenny about Merino Style and pilling. Or if you want the sunny perspective ask her husband.

Anonymous said...

I bought lots of Merino Style from Knitpicks, then I heard it pilled a lot...so I bought a stone from Knitpicks for the pilling and it works great. Just rub it over the surface and the pills come off.