Saturday, March 18, 2006

Saturday: Socks.

Two pairs of socks for you today -- one pair just finished, and the other pair just started. First, the socks I knit for Jean (the kind soul responsible for the shetland yarn tower two posts ago). The colourway of this yarn will henceforth be known as "Joan Jett":



Look familiar, Carolyn? To continue the spirit of reusing and recycling, I knit Jean's socks from yarn that Carolyn sent me more than a year ago: Froehlich Wolle Blauband Maxi Ringel. I really hope they fit. It's nerve-wracking knitting socks for someone else, isn't it? (If you want to see these socks laid out -- and how they match exactly -- you can check out "Jean's purple socks" in the knitting gallery.)

Next, socks I started yesterday. I've been so busy and so stressed out that Madli's shawl has just not appealed. I wanted simple sock knitting, but I also wanted to try something new. Enter the technique of 2 socks on 2 circs: I consulted this page to see how to get started, and off I went:



I do love the idea that when I'm done, I'll have a pair of socks all at once. This technique is definitely not as contained and portable as my usual 1 sock on 1 circ method, as there are needles and yarn strands hanging all over the place. But it didn't take long to get the hang of it, and it's not difficult to do. I'm using Knit Picks merino (colour: zinnia) that the Divine Ms. Em sent for my last birthday. I'm quite pleased at the lack of colour pooling, though I'm planning a heel flap 'n' gusset rather than a short-row heel, so there will likely be Instep Blotch when the time comes.

Anyway, I'm knitting today. No (or very little) schoolwork. I really, really need a wee break. So right now I'm listening to DNTO, enjoying the sunshine and blue sky outside, and getting ready to pick up those zinnia socks again. Ahhhh. I hope you enjoy your weekend, too.

No comments: