Friday, January 27, 2006

Crazy

OK, I got my GRE scores in the mail yesterday, and they are crazy. I did indeed bomb the writing section -- apparently my answers were seriously below the average. Needless to say, I don't think my score is an accurate reflection of my critical-thinking and analytical-writing skills, but I do think it is a decent measure of my ability to write under pressure, with a ridiculous time limit, first thing in the morning, without having had enough coffee, and given a stupid topic. So there. Anyway, in absolute numbers I scored higher on the math than on the verbal, but my verbal score put me in the 97th percentile while my math score is just in the 75th. It doesn't really make any sense. All I know for sure is that the charge to my credit card to take the test in the first place is firmly in the "too expensive" percentile, and that standardized tests are stupid. Meh.

I went out tonight to a bar with some Ph.D. students in my department, and there was a band playing -- well, just two guys: a guitar and a bongo-drum-thing that probably has a real name -- and they played covers that were really good. I was loving them and having a good time, and then they played a Pixies song ("Where is my mind"), and I just couldn't think of anything better.

I've almost finished my We Call Them Pirates hat! I love Fair Isle, and I want to marry it. Photos soon...

No comments: