Tuesday, July 20, 2004

La la la, I can't hear you

Today is my eighth-last day in the office. Mentally, I'm already finished, so while time flies in my spare time when I should be packing and making moving arrangements, it has slowed to an excruciating crawl while I'm at work. I can't wait for this holiday in Malaysia. (If you've been there, especially to the Perhentian Islands or Sarawak, I'd love to hear from you.) I'm going to take plain stockinette socks with me to knit.

Then I'll take Polka Purl Dots with me on my flight to Vancouver and try to make some decent progress. Those rows are lo-o-ong, but they are getting shorter now. Most of the pattern calls for two sets of shaping going on at the same time, plus the polka-dot stitch pattern, of course, so it will be perfect for a long flight. Since the day I started PPD, I haven't had time to do more than four rows in one sitting. Right now I'm about thirty rows into the polka-dot pattern (four inches?).

Last night Bill and I and our friend Bruno went out to eat at a pub that is popular with foreigners. Given the chance to eavesdrop on English-speaking people, I was reminded that people's conversations in public generally aren't that interesting. And it's much more difficult to block out the surrounding conversations when you can understand them. When you don't understand what the people around you are saying, you can just listen to the sounds without doing any of the work of comprehension. You enter the Foreigner Zone of Oblivion. I spend most of my time there.

Hmm. Let's see... only seven days and six hours left at my job. Only eleven days until I fly to Malaysia for sixteen days. Only thirty days until I fly back to Canada. Only fifty days until I begin my master's degree and begin a whole new cycle of stress! Only eighty-five days until I turn thirty-two! Only twenty years until I'm middle-aged!! Screeeech! Ahem. I'm OK. Heh heh. Ack.

No comments: