Sunday, June 20, 2004

Taipei is like a box of chocolates

Bill and I were on our scooter last night, stopped at a red light on Heping East Road, when I looked to my right and saw a man sitting on the curb holding a leash... with a big black rooster at the end of it. After thirty seconds or so, the man stood up and began to walk, tugging on the leash to get the rooster to move. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy. The bird was really not into being walked -- he kind of jerked forward and then stopped, stuck another leg out and stopped. Then the light changed, and we drove off.

Last month, on the day of President Chen's inauguration ceremony, I was walking down Chongching South Road near where I work, and I thought I saw a dog on a leash that was tied to a post on the sidewalk. But it wasn't a dog. It was a hairy little pig. On a leash. In the middle of the city. Tied to a post while its owner did some shopping or banking.

You just never know what'cher gonna get.

No comments: