Wednesday, February 25, 2004

I'm about six inches into the second Must Have sleeve now. (Sorry for the lack of photos, but I'm always running late in the mornings, and it's dark by the time I get home.) I'm reversing the crossovers on the middle cable pattern on this sleeve; I suppose that if you're making one, too, you'll (a.) know what I mean, and (b.) care.

I went back to the hospital yesterday, and it was almost fun compared to last week's experience. (I said "almost.") Armed with a charged cell phone, wads of cash, a Koigu sock-in-progress to distract me, and my Super Important Hospital Identification Number, I saw a doctor in no time. He was very concerned about me: "Oh, this is so expensive without a card! There must be another way! Hmm... what should we do... so expensive..." And I'm screaming, "I'll pay it! Give me the drugs!" You see, I was missing work to take care of this. I was hoping to get back to the office by 10:30 a.m., so I could start getting paid at 10:30 a.m., because if I arrived at 10:31 a.m., my pay wouldn't start until 11:30 a.m. (Yes, they're fascist that way. I've complained to you about this before, and I'll complain about it again, but not today.) As the cost of my prescription equaled less than two hours' pay for me, I just wanted to pay it and get out. Nice doctor, misplaced concern for the foreigner. I got to my office at 11:00. Grr.

So many comments about food yesterday! I know I asked for it, but I hadn't really thought ahead to how I'd feel arriving at work, having my coffee, and reading about disgusting dish after disgusting dish. Ew... I think Mindy's description of p'tcha wins (and by "wins," I mean "is the most revolting"), though boy, there are a lot of terrible things going on out there with animal parts! Especially feet! We always joke that butchers here cut up a chicken, toss out the torso ("Breast meat? Who would want that? Boring!"), and sell the rest (feet, necks, heads) as the yummy parts. (In fact, I think that's the English translation of the National Meat-Eaters' Organization's slogan: "Toss out the torso!") Why have a ham when there's a perfectly good snout? If I was unemployed, I could come up with a Which Taiwanese Edible Animal Part Are You? quiz: "You're chicken testicles! You like to be where the action is, but watch out, or you'll end up in hot water -- with noodles and corn!" OK, I'll stop now... (As a vegetarian, I take perverse delight in especially repulsive meats, heh heh.)

No comments: