Thursday, January 29, 2004

I've still got movies on my mind. It comes from reading other blogs, since several people are sounding off on the Oscar nominations. I'm sad that I'll miss the awards ceremony again, but I'm counting on Em and Shannon, among others, to keep me posted. In the meantime, I've been reading Oscar-related articles like these:

"The rise of the independents," about how the academy has (at least this year) veered away from the big Hollywood studios and the safe and traditional films/roles -- consider, for example, that, "in the Battle of the Sea Captains," Johnny Depp was nominated, but Russell Crowe wasn't. Or that only two of the five original screenplay nominees are American, and one of those is an indie film and the other is a cartoon.

"Oscar's year of firsts," which also focuses on the surprises in this year's nominations. Plus, shocking trivia: "it's the first time two movies with colons in their titles were nominated for best picture." Yes, you heard it here first.

"Oscar produces some boffo shocks": Yeah, yeah, more on how surprising it all is, but a Canadian story, and we're really pleased about Denys Arcand's nominations.

"Tower of bagel," which is a BBC correspondent's perspective on the nominations, and let's face it, British people are funny:

For me at least, the awards season is interminable. I find it quite difficult to remain enthusiastic about whether the fourth Orc from the left in the battle for Minas Tirith in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King deserved best supporting ogre from the New York Guild of Pizza Deliverers.
Can I take a month-long leave of absence from work to watch movies and knit sweaters? Please?

No comments: