Tuesday, January 13, 2004

I turned the heel of my second Regia mini-ringel sock last night. I love making socks. I could spend hours looking at sock patterns (if I didn't have a job). I even have a fabulous little stash of sock yarn! After this pair of Regia is done, I have another colourway of mini-ringel (5220, I think -- greens), which I picked up in Montreal in the summer. I also have two balls of Patons Kroy (Flax) that I brought from Canada. (Plus I have to make the second Patons Lace Panel sock.) I have two lovely skeins of Koigu (P519, I think), which were a gift from the lovely Rachael. I have two luxurious skeins of Wildfoote (SY12: Bark Cloth), which the fabulous Cari sent over. Lucky, lucky, lucky me! And I've requested two skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock (403: Tuscany) from Threadbear. Why would I order sock yarn to be sent halfway around the world? Well, I just thought they may as well throw it in with the Kureyon for my Rosedale United, of course! That's right: shove over and make room on the Rosedale bandwagon. I'll be getting on board in a couple of weeks.

(Has anyone made anything with colour 57? I'd love to see a picture.)

There's a nice long article in the Age today about choosing titles for novels: "Title fight." I know I often judge a book by its title. I would have read The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing (by Melissa Bank) eventually if it'd had a banal title, but the title was the reason I picked it up in the first place. (It's one of my favourite book titles.) (Others, off the top of my head, include The Heart is a Lonely Hunter [Carson McCullers] and Woman Hollering Creek [Sandra Cisneros].) (For books of poetry, of which I've read few, my favourite title is There's a Trick with a Knife I'm Learning to Do [Michael Ondaatje].) (Man, I hardly ever read anymore....) In the Age article, Julian Barnes says he didn't read Catcher in the Rye until he was over forty, "because I thought it was going to be about baseball in a field." Funny; I never read A History of the World in 10½ Chapters because the title turned me off. What are your favourite titles, or which ones have you avoided?

No comments: