Friday, January 03, 2003

OK. First I'll give a little background on myself. I'm a 30-year-old Canadian woman living in Taipei, Taiwan, with my partner, Bill. I work as an editor for a book publishing company here. We've been here in Taipei since Feb. 21, 2002. Just over a month ago, I took up knitting like there was no tomorrow. I think it partly had to do with the weather turning colder (yes, 10 degrees Celsius can feel very cold, even to a Canadian) and partly with a lack of material comfort in my life. That is, other than my bed, there aren't many soft and comfortable spots in my life. When we came here, everything we owned was either sold off or put into storage back in B.C., and our precious Mooky cat went to live with friends in Montreal. We came here with only the bare minimum. I haven't totally thought it all through yet, but I think my urge to knit and be crafty at this point is related to a need to create comfort for myself here. Anyway, my first project was, of course, a scarf. I knit a wooly scarf for Bill. My second project was a cell phone cosy for myself. Then another scarf, this time a very fuzzy one for myself. Then lots of swatches just so I could see what different stitches look like. Then a couple of dishclothes. Then a chunky toque, half a chunky scarf, and another chunky toque (finished last night and worn out for breakfast this morning!). This is all in the last month. All pretty basic. I'll wrangle some photos together and post them so you can see my knitting -- I'm quite proud of it, and also proud of myself that I didn't get bored and give up after that first scarf. So I wanted to start this site because I've been very inspired by all the many, many knitting blogs that are out there. Clearly the world doesn't really need another one. But since I'm living on the other side of the world from my family and most friends, a Web presence is a good idea, I think. It'll probably take me a while to figure out how all this works and how I can make it look better. Thanks for your patience.

No comments: