Tuesday, January 07, 2003

Knitting is fun, but getting the right stuff for a particular project can be so frustrating! I wanted to try the wrist warmers on Knitty. They look fun and I want to learn something new. So I went to the yarn store (there are two within two blocks of my apartment!) and bought wool and a 3.75mm circular needle, and then came home and pulled it all out eagerly. But, and I feel stupid about this, my new circular needle is 60cm long. Obviously bigger than my wrist, duh. But tonight I went to the other yarn store, and the only circular needles there were 60cm or 40cm. So I'm totally bewildered as to how a person could knit a wrist warmer for anyone other than the Friendly Giant on one of these circular needles! By the way, the woman at both yarn stores don't speak English, and I can't speak Chinese. Hmm. How will I figure this out? Perhaps I'll just try the wrist warmers on a set of double-pointed needles. But it's still going to bug me.

It even took me a good while to figure out what "worsted weight" actually is. Hey, I'm new at this. I have finally determined that "worsted weight" just means that 1000 yards = 1 lb. And that 125 meters = 137 yards, and a pound is 16 oz. (Right?) Aiyo!

While I'm at work, I stay sane by listening to triple j radio from Australia. I would listen to my beloved cbc radio, but while I'm at work, Canada is asleep.

I sure do miss my cat. Of course, he's very well looked after in Montreal by his two mommies. One of them sent me this link, which just makes me happy.

No comments: