Thursday, January 30, 2003

I leave tomorrow morning! My flight doesn't leave until 1:30 p.m., but since tomorrow is the first day of the Chinese New Year break, traffic is expected to be extra bad. So I'll probably leave home around 8:30 a.m. -- crazy, I know. But if I were to be late for my flight... I shudder just thinking about it. I'd rather sit at the airport for hours. I bought a bit of wool this afternoon for Crazy Hat 2: The Sequel to keep me occupied. I finished the original crazy hat. The only crazy thing about it is that it's too long, but I can flip up the bottom. It's a fabulous toque, actually -- super stretchy, and the fine merino wool is not scratchy or bristly at all. Very un-wool-like. I don't need to make another one, but I'll want to knit at the airport and on the plane tomorrow (are ladies still permitted to board an aircraft with pointy needles?) and I want it to be something easy so I won't really have to think about it. Crazy Hat 2: The Sequel will be quite different from the sweet little pink-and-red toque just finished. I tapped into the 1970s and chose two colours that reminded me of the home-knitted toques and mitts my brother and I wore as kids: blue and green. (Ha! You thought I was going to say brown and orange! Ah, the seventies....) But not simply blue and green. The blue is fleck-y, with tiny bits of green in it, and the green is like the crayon just called "green" -- not colours I'd normally choose, but I'm hoping I'll end up with a bit of a retro toque. A bit of a 1970s-kids'-mitts / old-school-hockey-sweater combo. It's a concept toque. Hmm. You don't think I've put too much thought into it, do you? Stay tuned.

Look, it's me, around Xmas 2001. (Beware the evil eye[s]...)

My cousin Rob (with the Hermes typewriter) and his partner have opened a second cafe in Montreal, called Cluny.

Bernardin Ltd. should have known better than to mess with angry Canadian canners. This story made my day.

This story, on the other hand, gave me the creeps: "Doc admits branding woman's uterus".

I probably wouldn't actually do it if I was in Vancouver, but weekly double dutch would probably be really fun. If no one could see me, I'd definitely consider it.

All right. I'll be back in a couple of weeks. I've added a few links for you, so look to the right, wa-a-ay to the right. Xi nian guai le! Happy Chinese New Year!

No comments: