Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I get by with a little yarn from my friends

I feel a little awkward blogging about things that people have sent me. Whether swaps or gifts, other knitters have sent me wonderful things, and since I love getting mail and (duh) I love yarn and knitting books (and CDs and magazines and candy!), it's been really awesome. And I don't mention every thing that comes, for a couple of reasons. Mostly, it feels a bit like showing off, and I'm Canadian, so immodesty gives me a rash. Also, nobody is sending me stuff just so they can see it on the blog. (Right?) I talked a bit about this with another blogger recently; she sent homemade cookies and a charming note and specifically asked me not to out her on the blog. Not to trash the "secret pal" stuff or anything, but I feel like I'm reading about it all the time -- plus it looks really expensive, which excludes so many people. I prefer the personal, off-the-blogging-radar mail that gets sent. Anyway, the yarn and stuff I've been sent has all been super-precious to me, and I want to give a big general shout-out to everyone I've swapped stuff with.

That said, I've decided to show you a bit of the booty. This is not even everything (and now I'm feeling guilty for leaving some things out), but I actually don't have all my yarn with me yet. Look at how lucky I am:

people who get yarn from people are the luckiest people in the world!

1. Three balls of Classic Elite Blithe (100% baby camel!). Maybe a Glammy Boob-Tube? Thanks, Greta!

2. Two skeins of Lorna's Laces shepherd sock yarn in Funky Stripe. Thanks, Mia!

3. Two balls of Regia Stretch sock yarn (colour 86). Thanks, Carolyn!

4. Two balls of Silja sock yarn (colour 331). I think I'll use this for my next socks, whatever they may be. (I've wanted to use this stuff since I saw Kris's Silja socks.) Thanks, Mia!

5. Two balls of Regia Jacquard sock yarn (colour 5272: blue and green). Thanks, Thuy!

6. 650 yards of fabulous hand-painted sport-weight yarn (merino?) that is yellow and red and blue and orange. I have no idea what to do with this yet, but it'll be something good. Thanks, Mia!

7. A skein of grape-alicious Fleece Artist merino sock yarn. Yummy. Thanks, Amy!

8. One big ball of Regia "Cotton Surf Color" (colour 5413: summer melon shades). Next summer, cotton socks, baby. Thanks, Carolyn!

9. Six balls of Bouquet mohair-wool-acrylic, "imported by F.W. Woolworth Co. Ltd., Toronto" (circa 1975?), rescued from a garage sale. I love this stuff. It will become the "To Dye For" sweater in the Stitch 'n' Bitch book (which Mariko sent). Thanks, Candy and Brenda!

And there is even more than that! It's a wonderful world. OK, I have to run -- I have a class. Have a great day, everyone. xo

No comments: